The humble oven, for most people, is their most used appliance. That’s why replacing your oven when it becomes old and defective is important. Failure to do so can result in safety hazards and a lack of access to a reliable cooking appliance. Most high-quality ovens can last for decades, while cheaper ones may only offer ten to fifteen years of use.
This article will identify the signs to watch for when it’s time to replace your oven. These include whether the oven works consistently and if it has become damaged. We’ll then provide tips on deciding which new oven is best for your needs.
Here are the top signs you may need to replace your oven.
Your oven is getting old
The number one reason people need to purchase a new oven is that it gets too old. Like any other appliance, an oven will eventually break down and become expensive to repair. Most ovens will last a minimum of 15 years, and some even last for multiple decades without any issues arising. Older ovens are also much less energy efficient and can result in higher energy bills. Once your oven starts to break down, it’s a good idea to start looking at purchasing a new one.
Your oven is damaged
Visible damage to any outside or inside components, such as the hinges, elements, or racks, is a good indication that you should consider purchasing a new oven. Additionally, it’s worth considering a new oven if you can hear strange noises while it’s operating, such as rattling noises.
Your oven is unsafe
When your oven starts to break down, it can become a safety hazard. For example, if you have a gas-powered oven and the gas supply components begin to break down, it can become a risk due to potential gas leaks. Other major safety issues include exposed heating elements and faulty oven doors.
It’s not energy efficient
Older ovens are less energy efficient than newer models. So while upgrading to a newer model might only save you a little bit of money per use, this can result in significant savings on your energy bill over time.
How to choose a new oven
Once you decide to purchase a new oven, you need to consider a few important factors. We have rounded up the most important ones to help you find the perfect oven for your needs.
- What type of oven do you want? When choosing a new oven to purchase, you have many options. These include gas, electric, and convection ovens. Each has its upsides and downsides that you will need to consider.
- What is your budget? The most important consideration is your budget for a new oven. New ovens can be as cheap as a few hundred and as expensive as tens of thousands of dollars. Once you set a budget, you can find the best oven within it.
- What size oven do you require? When purchasing a new oven, you need to make sure it will fit into the space you have for it in your kitchen. The capacity is also important to ensure you have enough space inside your oven for the daily cooking you will be doing.
- What features do you want? Modern ovens have many features, such as self-cleaning functions and advanced timers, that can improve your cooking experience and save time. However, additional features can result in a higher cost for your new oven, depending on your preferred options.
- What is the energy efficiency rating? Ovens with higher energy efficiency ratings mean lower energy bills. Even if the initial cost is higher, the long-term benefits may outweigh this, making it a worthwhile investment.
- What brand do you want to buy? When replacing your oven, you will also need to consider the brand/manufacturer. If you do some research, you will discover which brands have the best track record of manufacturing high-quality ovens. Investing in a reliable brand is also important if you plan to sell your house in the future.
Does it have a warranty? Selecting a new oven with a strong warranty can help mitigate some of the risks involved in the purchase. If the oven breaks down during the warranty period, you can get it repaired or replaced free of charge.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.